How To Get TAN Through Online Form 49?
TAN or Tax Deduction and Collection Account Number is a 10 digit alpha numeric number required to be obtained by all persons who are responsible for deducting or collecting tax. It is compulsory to quote TAN in TDS/TCS return (including any e-TDS/TCS return), any TDS/TCS payment challan and TDS/TCS certificates.All those persons who are required to deduct tax at source or collect tax at source on behalf of Income Tax Department are required to apply for and obtain TAN. Here are steps for applying for TAN.
Step 1 : Click here to visit the NSDL site's TAN Registration page. Go to bottom of the page you will find the following field where you are to select the type of deductor you are .
Step2 : On selecting the type of deductor , you will get online Form 49 .Fill it properly. For guide on filling the form , click here.
Step 3: There are three ways you can pay the fee of Rs 60 for application . Cheque, demand draft or credit card.The details regarding payment is as under
- Demand draft / cheque shall be in favor of 'NSDL - TIN' payable at Mumbai.
- Name of the applicant and the acknowledgment number should be mentioned on the reverse of the demand draft / cheque.
- Applicants making payment by cheque shall deposit a local cheque (drawn on any bank) with any HDFC Bank branch across the country (except Dahej). The applicant shall mention TANNSDL on the deposit slip. List of HDFC Bank Branches.
- Facility of making payment by credit card is not available for below mentioned categories:
- Central Government / State Government and
- Statutory / Autonomous Bodies
Step 4: On confirmation i.e submit button - an acknowledgment screen will be displayed.Save and print this acknowledgment.
Step 5 :Sign the Acknowledgment . Signature / Left thumb impression should only be within the box provided in the acknowledgment. In case of applicants other than 'Individuals', the authorised signatory shall sign the acknowledgment and affix the appropriate seal or stamp.Left hand Thumb impression, if used, should be attested by a Magistrate or a Notary Public or Gazetted Officer, under official seal and stamp.
Step 6 : Send the the acknowledgment duly signed, along with demand draft, to NSDL at
National Securities Depository Limited
3rd floor, Sapphire Chambers,
Near Baner Telephone Exchange,
Pune - 411045
(b) Superscribe the envelope with 'APPLICATION FOR TAN - Acknowledgment Number' (e.g. 'APPLICATION TAN - 88301020000244').
(c) Your acknowledgment and demand draft, if any, should reach NSDL within 15 days from the date of online application.
(d) Application will be processed only on receipt of duly signed acknowledgment and realisation of payment.
How to know the status of your application?
Choose any one way of following
- Through this link
- Call TIN Call Centre at 020 - 27218080; Fax: 020 - 27218081
- e-mail us at: email@example.com
- SMS TAN Acknowledgement No. & send to 53030 to obtain application status