How to Name my company?
Guidelines for Private Limited Company or Public Limited Company
- A Company should not use the same name or closely similar name of another existing/ registered company in India.
- The name of the company should clearly reflect proposed activity. A good company should have these:
- Brand Name : Your desired identity for the new company. e.g. Reliance, Airtel, Tata, Lamingo etc.
- Activity : Should clearly reflect the activity. e.g. if you are planning a software development company then you shold use any of these Systems, Solutions, Technologies, Consultancy Services etc.
- Type of Company : Private Limited or Limited depending on what type of company is being registered (Private Limited or Public Limited)
- Company name should not contain names/ words which has a Trademark, unless consent from the trademark owner has been procured.
- Few words are associated with higher authorized capital and are allowed to be used only if the company is registered with the required capital or more. Refer to this table for key words and their capital requirements:
|Sl.No.||Key words in Company name||Authorized Capital Required (INR)|
|1||Corporation||5 crores (50 million)|
|2||Asia, Asian, Asiatic, Continental, Globe, Global, International, Inter-Continental, Universal, Universal, World -- being the first word of the company name||1 crore (10 million)|
|3||Industrial, Industries, Industry, Udyog||1 crore (10 million)|
|4||Asia, Asian, Asiatic, Continental, Globe, Global, International, Inter-Continental, Universal, Universal, World -- used within the company name with or without brackets||50 Lacs (5 million)|
|5||Bharat, Bhrarati, Bharatiya, Bharateeya, Hindustan, Hindustani, Hindustanee, India, Indian -- being the first word of the company name||50 Lacs (5 million)|
|6||Business, Enterprise, Enterprises, Manufacturing, Manufacture, Product, Products||10 Lacs (1 million)|
|7||Bharat, Bhrarati, Bharatiya, Bharateeya, Hindustan, Hindustani, Hindustanee, India, Indian -- used within the company name with or without brackets||5 Lacs (0.5 million)|
Guidelines for Limited Liability Partnership (LLP)
- The name of the limited liability partnership shall not be one prohibited under the Emblems and Names (Prevention of Improper Use) Act, 1950.
- A name shall not generally be reserved, if:
- it includes any word or words which are offensive to any section of the people;
- the proposed name is the exact Hindi or English translation of the name of an existing limited liability partnership in English or Hindi, as the case may be;
- the proposed name has a close phonetic resemblance to the name of a LLP in existence, for example, J.K. LLP., Jay Kay LLP;
- it includes the word Co-operative, Sahakari or the equivalent of word 'co-operative' in the regional languages of the country;
- it connotes the participation or patronage of the Central or State Government, unless circumstances justify to, e.g., a name may be deemed undesirable in certain context if it includes any of the words such as National, Union, Central, Federal, Republic, President, Rashtrapati, etc;
- the proposed name contains the words 'British India';
- the proposed name implies association or connection with any Embassy or Consulate or of a foreign government which suggests connection with local authorities such as Municipal, Panchayat, Zila Parishad or any other body connected with the Union or State Government;
- the proposed name is vague like D.I.M.O. Limited liability partnership or I.V.N.R. Limited liability partnership or S.S.R.P Limited liability partnership;
- it is different from the name or names of the existing limited liability partnership only to the extent of having the name of a place within brackets before the word ‘limited liability partnership’, for example, Indian Press (Delhi) LLP should not be allowed in view of the existence of the LLP named Indian Press LLP;
- it includes name of registered Trade mark, unless the consent of the owner of the trade mark has been produced;
- the proposed name is identical with or too nearly resembles the name of a firm or LLP or company incorporated outside India and reserved by such firm, LLP or company with the registrar in accordance with these rules;
- it is identical with or too nearly resembles the name of the limited liability partnership or a company in liquidation or it is identical with or too nearly resembles names of the LLP or a company which is struck off, up to the period of 5 years;
- it includes words like 'Bank', 'Insurance' and 'Banking', ‘Venture capital’ or ‘mutual fund’ or such similar names without the approval of the regulatory authority. List of words requiring approval are:
- it is intended or likely to produce a misleading impression regarding the scope or scale of its activities which would be beyond the resources at its disposal;
- the proposed name includes words like French, British, German etc., unless the partners satisfy that there is some form of collaboration and connection with the foreigners of that particular country or place, the name of which is incorporated in the name;
- the proposed name of limited liability partnership includes the words company secretary, chartered accountant, advocates or such similar words as indicative of a profession, as part of the proposed name, the same shall be allowed only after obtaining approval from the Council governing such profession or such authority as may be nominated by the Central Government, in this behalf.
Sl.No. Proposed Words Approval Required 1 Venture Capital, Venture Capital Company, Venture Capital Fund, Venture Capital Finance Company Department of Economic Affairs/ SEBI 2 Mutual Funds, Stock Exchange Securities Exchange Board of India (SEBI) 3 Bank, Banking Reserve Bank of India (RBI) 4 Insurance Insurance Development Regularity Authority of India (IDRA) 5 A word from the registered trade mark Owner of the trade mark
- A foreign LLP or a foreign company may apply to the Registrar for reserving its existing name by which it is registered in the country of its regulation or incorporation: Provided that such reservation shall be valid for three years but may be renewed on a fresh application
- There are few Prohibited words and should not be used.
|1||Central, Cottage Industries, Federal, Financial Corporations, Municipality, National, Panchayat, President, Rashtrapati, Republic, Small Scale Industries, Union, or any other word imparting connection Union or State Government||Signifies Government Patronage or Participation|
|2||State together with the name of Particular State for e.g. Karnataka state corporations Ltd||Gives an impression that the state is also participating in the paid up share capital of the company|
|3||Ashoka Chakra, Dharma Chakra, Name of Parliament , State Legislature, Bharat Scouts, Interpol, Rama Krishna Math, Ramakrishna Sarada Mission, Chhatarpait Shivaji Maharaj, Mahatma Gandhi or the name of any Prime Minister / President of India||Prohibited Under Emblems & Names (Prevention of Improper Use ) Act, 1955|